Friday, May 23, 2008

I Got Worms!

They came in the mail in a brown USPS box. Keith and I spent a couple of hours making a home for them. It may look like a simple garbage can, but it's actually a simple garbage can filled with cardboard and rocks. Here they are at home in their new compost haven. Don't they look happy?



Actually the worms and worm-bin making progress have been a little more difficult than I had bargained for. The little rascals keep trying to escape. Apparently I lack the necessary skills to make their bin homey enough that they never want to stray outside of it. They like it damp, but not too damp you see. After just one day in the bin there was a massive jail break attempt. The crafty worms had climbed up the sides of the pail and squeezed themselves out of every air hole and lid seam they could find. I found them stretched out across the porch attempting to make their way to the lawn (I guess that's where they were headed -- where else would they be trying to go?). I painstakingly picked up each slimy, grimy little guy and tenderly tossed him back into the scraps.

Since then I have experimented with varying levels of dampness, food, light and air mixtures until I thought I had finally achieved the perfect state of zen for my worms. And they seemed to be staying put, for a time. Then last night we had a huge storm. Somehow the elements managed to soak my bin once again, and when I came home from the ER at 2 am last night, what should I find, but wads of soggy worms scattered all over the porch, glistening in the moonlight. So, I once again performed the labor of love of returning them to their unnatural domicile.

This episode coupled with my recent gardening experiences has left me wondering if I am just not good at things. It seems there was a time in my life where all things came easy. What could have happened? Is it age? Mental slowing? More challenging projects? Did too much focus on medicine and a lack of regular exercise and healthy diet finally squeeze all the practical neurons from my brain?

I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm still quite enjoying the wiggly little bastards. Also, I have little green bean buds and zucchini leaves sprouting out of my tiny backyard garden plot. Who says you need talent or skill to enjoy life?

Keith fashioning boards for the worm-bin.


Oh, and it was Keith's birthday! Can you guess how hold he was?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

i love your worm bin... although i've never seen one in such a tall container; does surface area matter? i'm sure you have it all figured out b/c even if you've lost your other talents, i'm sure your still SMART!

and happy (very belated) bday to keith!