Wednesday, August 20, 2008

GQ Golfer

I never could have predicted this: I never thought I would ever pick up golfing. I guess I just don't see myself in that stereotype. Golfers are pretty much made of time and money aren't they? Golfing happens to be a great distraction from a hectic lifestyle though, and it's a lot easier on your aging body than a lot of other sports I can think of. The game is oddly easy to pick up, but very difficult to master. I say that with only a total of 36 holes under my belt, but I feel confident in my assessment.

I also never could have predicted Keith's interest in the sport. As most of you know Keith is not much for spouting off information about himself, so it wasn't until just recently that I even knew what a die hard golfer he had been in his youth. He's still pretty good, and he looks awfully good sporting a bag of clubs.
He's working on replacing his hazardous, head-flying-off clubs with new ones. We used the new irons today, and here is Keith transferring them to his new, less torn up and duct taped bag.


I'm off to watch some olympic volleyball: Go May/Walsh!

5 comments:

jgautrea said...

Keith does look like he should be modeling apparel in an Izod catalog. But I want to know how well he is hitting the ball. How deep are his divots? Which way is he turning it? How's the putting, the chipping? Is the tee ball flying high or low? These are the questions. And of course, how many club heads actually flew off during play?

Jonesy said...

Well, those are a lot of details for me to put into a blog post, especially given that his shots essentially vary wildly from awesome Tiger Woods style drives to Happy Gilmore, neighboring golfers duck for cover type shots. One thing that I can tell you with certainty is that he is WAY better than me. That is good because it means I have someone who knows about golf who is obligated to teach me things, but it is bad because frequently he just doesn't think to volunteer tips. For example, yesterday he finally offered me my first putting advice which I essentially had to beg for, and the "lesson' did not come until hole 9 (of 9). His coaching could use some improvement.

No lost club heads yesterday! New clubs totally worth it.

Jenn said...

OMG! Golfing doctors? Stereotype? Never! I am on the floor laughing. Do we really come from the same gene pool?

I have started yoga for the aging body myself. Pretzel-bending hippie stereotype here!

Gotta love it!

Kat G said...

Naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa!

Jonesy said...

You cannot make me feel bad about golfing, hippie-chick. I will golf with my head held high. Besides, you try living in the middle of nowhere and see what kind of activities you come up with. It beats dangling a button from a string.

And Kat, I am sad to admit that I am a deprived soul who has never seen Caddy Shack, so it is only because Keith is sitting next to me that I now understand your comment. The good news is that Caddy Shack is now in our NetFlix queue.