Saturday, April 19, 2008

World's Worst Gardener

I have a hunch that no one can kill plants faster than I can. Exactly one week ago I left my local garden center full of hope and excitement about my first gardening experience. I busily and lovingly potted fragrant herbs and cute little flowers. Knowing full well that gardening may be tricky for me I had the nice garden lady steer me towards only the hardiest of plants. "This is easy to grow right?" I kept asking. "Oh yes." She would reply. Now, I am not a total gardening moron. I know most plants can't live out in the freezing cold. In BB the last frost is usually around May 10th. So, I asked nice garden lady what I should do with my plants. She replied that they should be outside in a sunny place, and if it was expected to freeze overnight then I should bring them in. Okay! easy enough. I was on my way.

So, how come just a few days later my poor little herbs were so droopy and sad? I went back to the garden center again and asked them what could be wrong. Nice garden lady #2 looked horrified when I told her the herbs had been out overnight. "It was 35 degrees last night!" she exclaimed. Since when is 35 degrees freezing? I want to know. I was not deterred. Even more determined to nurture my plants, I developed a rotation system by which they would receive full sunlight at various windows and patios throughout the day, then spend the night inside. Then Keith and I drove to Kearny. When we left it was 70 and not a cloud in the sky. My plants would be so happy, I thought. And then it hailed. Not just little gravely kind of hail. I'm talking big marbles and gobstoppers falling from the sky. There are tiny decapitated flower buds scattered all around the veranda. The basil plant looks like a fallen soldier. I am left wondering if there is any hope for me.

On a cheerier note, Keith and I used our cute new dessert plates the other night. The shortcake was delicious.

7 comments:

jgautrea said...

BB seems like a tough place to live. Snow, hail, drastic changes in temperature - I am impressed by the hardiness of you and Keith.
However, I'm staring down the rather immense and imposing barrel of the gun that is called "Summer in Yuma," so I can't have too much sympathy. I do feel bad about your plants, though. Kat and I haven't checked on how her new garden is going, so for all we know everything may be dead there as well.

Kat G said...

I checked on my garden plot today and so far, nothing is totally dead. Actually, everything pretty much looked the same as it did when we stuck it in the ground.

Sad. I was hoping for massive eggplants to magically spring forth.

Kat G said...

By the way. Don't feel bad. I've killed mint. Everyone says it is indestructible and will take over your garden—yada, yada, yada.

I've taken it down in about a week.

I prefer to take a more Life is Brutal attitude toward gardening.

If it grows, it can stay. If it dies, it wasn't up to the challenge!

Terry G. said...

This(Spring in NE) too shall pass; btw, herbs like it HOT!!! Keep up the good work and you too can try to kill mint(that really IS impossible!!) Is the horseradish(also, supposedly indestructible and invasive) sprouting? and garlic is always a good choice and can be transplanted at any time.
Terry G.

Jonesy said...

Horseradish? Is that what you planted all over our yard. I couldn't even tell. What about those green-oniony looking things by the garage? those aren't horse radish... As for NE weather, so far summer's unbearable hot, winter's cold and snowy and I'm supposed to be waiting for terrible spring to pass. What does that leave, just autumn, that's what. That's not enough enjoyable seasons! sad sigh.

Terry G. said...

Horseradish(3) in SE corner, garlic by the garage, and weather is why Nebraskans live longer than most in US--keep repeating "It's the Good Life"

Jonesy said...

Oh, garlic, that's cool. When can I pick it? And, I have noticed there are a heck of a lot of people over 90 here. Keith and I have had to rethink the way we counsel people about medical care, cancer screening etc, because people seem to live FOREVER out here!