Monday, December 22, 2008

The worst thing about eczema

This winter has been incredibly cold (-30 w/wind chill the other day). What is perhaps worse though is how dry it has been. Over the years I have been annoyed on and off by a tiny patch of eczema on the lateral aspect of my middle finger. With this extra dry weather coupled with having to wash my hands umpteen times a day to rid them of germs and doggie stink, my eczema is spreading. Now the whole middle digit is red and cracked and stinging like crazy. I'm also getting textbook antecubital fossa involvement. So, to treat it I have taken to wearing a glove on my right hand at night in order to get the steroid cream and emollient to absorb better. This is the worst part of having eczema -- operating my laptop mouse with a glove doesn't work, so I am forced to navigate left handed. Difficult. Yes I realize that if this is my biggest concern, then I have a nice life indeed.

With the cold weather hitting this weekend and Keith being on call, I spent most of the weekend baking cookies. This crazy cookie lady motivated this madness, which will likely never be repeated in this house. Co-workers are getting a variety of delectable cookies though, and I too made biscotti, and it is awesome. It was so hard to wrap it up and not eat half of it in the process.

Tomorrow I will try to post pictures of Keith in his awesome new, long enough and not too baggy and super good deal cords and nice wool sweater which will hopefully keep him from complaining so much about the cold weather. These were his early Christmas gift. And kudos to Kat for helping me find the handful of places that actually sell Gautreaux sized slacks.

7 comments:

Kat G said...

So this is a weird convo about skin ailments in a public realm ... but I use a combo of Devonex and Cloderm creams for my elbows which have patches that prompt people to ask me if I've fallen. Because it's out of the way, it doesn't bother me as much as, say, a finger, but it hurts when it rubs inside clothes. I find they are faster acting than a lot of the stuff I've been given for my lifetime of eczema suffering.

So I'm sorry you are going through this. My skin issues have been greatly reduced by living in the southwest. I used to get the worst rashes on my legs in NC! Thank god for Arizona! You're welcome to visit anytime! It'll be like a spa vacay!

Jonesy said...

It is weird, but when inspiration strikes, you don't fight it. I have never heard of those creams. I will have to look into it so that I can better serve eczema sufferers everywhere. AZ sounds heavenly right now. So cold outside, brrrrr.

Anonymous said...

In re Kat:

Soon Elliott and Jeffrey will be able to go through some remaining boxes of clothing at home to supplement, not supplant, their existing hand me downs.

Tiny said...

When it strikes on the feet, I apply the stuff and then wrap with saran wrap.

Jenn said...

I'd rather talk about cookies!! :) I, too, went bake-crazy. Tried a couple of biscotti recipes and was wondering if you have one you've perfected?? Not in love with the two I tried so far....

Jenn said...

I'd rather talk about cookies!! :) I, too, went bake-crazy. Tried a couple of biscotti recipes and was wondering if you have one you've perfected?? Not in love with the two I tried so far....

Jonesy said...

Jenn, I know you baked biscotti, that's why I linked to you!! Also, if you click on the 'crazy cookie lady' link you will find an awesome biscotti recipe. I think the secrete is that it is absolutely loaded w/almonds.. addictive. Try it!