Monday, July 9, 2007

Tragedy Strikes the Family RV

Thankfully, true tragedies are rare in our everyday lives. This week was an exception to that. My dad and his wife Kim recently purchased a used RV in order to take a family vacation this summer. They were only two days into their trip when this happened:






That's what had been their shiny new (to them) RV. It took all of 30 minutes for it to burn to the ground. The forest rangers commended my dad for not driving onto the side of this remote road where a huge forest fire would have certainly ensued. In their haste to vacate the vehicle (they were driving it when the fire started under the hood), they lost some valuable items. The most notable was a laptop containing the only copy of a book Kim had been working hard on. I think it's natural to want to find meaning in something like this. I'm not a spiritual person, so I am not sure there is meaning here, but one thing's for sure: this event reminds us all what is really important in life. They may have lost a lot of possessions, but we are all so happy that Kim, Dad, Gaby and Vron are all safe at home!

3 comments:

jgautrea said...

I'm glad to hear that everyone is OK. It's sad to see that this happened to something they had just purchased - and that they lost the laptop and the book - but at least no one was hurt.
My first auto of my own, an enormous Lincoln Town Car, burned up in a similar fashion after my mom gave it away to some people who needed a car. Ever since, I have been a bit wary of any gifts that come from my mom.

shirley said...

Dear Shaleah, I am so thankful that your dad and Kim and the girls are OK. That same burning of an RV also happened to my Uncle Del and his wife maybe 15 years ago. I am sorry about Kim's book though. Give them our best. I will pray for all of them. It does make one thankful for all that we have and especially what we take for granted. I hope all is going well. I enjoyed all of the pictures and the ones of the wedding again also. The dogs are fine. I was going to call today, but now I can do this. You did get CD's ( I assume) from Sieblers. That is all the mail that you have received. Love and prayers, MOM

gabriellejones said...

I'm "borrowing" these pictures.